Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Word War I .. World War II

World War I and World War II - The two great war's in the history of the world. Although, the History part of Social at school was all about these two wars for one whole year(was it two?), I don't remember anything about them. Now that I have all the time, I thought I should probably read about them. For now, I will find the information on the net. If it goes well and if I get further interested, I will probably move to books. So the idea is to read in parts everyday and update my blog on what I read about these wars. I will start with World War I. Lets see how this goes :).

Btw, I am not fascinated by the war's or anything. I just want to know how so many people(millions .. don't know how many) could involve themselves in these deadliest wars. I understand that most of them had no choice. But, how did it all happen? How could there be a second one? How could they not learn from the first one? Well, I don't know if these questions have answers to them. Because, even now we haven't learned. I think its just part of the human nature - to fight; though it would result in more destruction than any ultimate good. Whatever, I just want to learn the reasons for these war's, the major players and how it has changed the world. Obviously, it won't be of any practical importance to me. But, I am sure it will be interesting to read about them.

As its already too late now .. I will post the first one tomorrow :).

4 Comments:

At September 3, 2008 at 3:05:00 AM EDT, Blogger nandhini said...

I think this is what can happen when very few people get to wield power over a huge number of people..
and dont forget, for a mad man, his perspective might seem normal, and the world might seem mad...

power corrupts, thats y, renounce everything and live happily :P

 
At September 4, 2008 at 12:46:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how come the focus shifted to wars all of a sudden???

anways good that you are trying to get more info about these two wars... but one point to mention here is that the winner always rewrites history . So most of the stuff that we know or read from books will be from the point of view of the winner. Hope your search would provide us with more insight into these wars :)))

keep posting.....good luck.......... :D

 
At September 4, 2008 at 1:25:00 PM EDT, Blogger D said...

but I am sure they can't change all the facts .. lets see how this goes :) .. need to read today's part .. didn't get a chance .. :D .. and please feel free to comment/correct or give your opinions ..

 
At September 5, 2008 at 6:31:00 PM EDT, Blogger nandhini said...

@rakesh:
good point!! History is usually biased. If you take the israel palestine conflict, yasser arafat is a hero according to Indian History text books, but Readers Digest (which is American) always glorifies Israel..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home